Father Stephen O’Donough applied to Mother Bridget at All Hallows for a few sisters to come to Warwick in 1873 but there were none available. In April 1874 Mother Bridget bought from Mr George Clarke a thirty-three acre paddock near the southern end of Dragon Street for 10 pounds an acre. Meanwhile Father O’Donough secured a house at one pound a week as accommodation for the sisters. Sister Magdalen Rooney, first Superior, Sister M Regis Quirke and Sister M Colman D’Alton arrived in Warwick in October 1874. In 1876 Mother M Kevin arrived and set about the building of St Mary’s Primary School and Convent of the Assumption.
The Foundation Stone of the Convent was laid on 16 August 1891 by the Right Reverend Dr Dunne and officially opened on 19 March 1893 by Archbishop Dunne. Further additions to the Convent were completed in 1903 and 1914. A great pioneer of education in the Warwick district was Mother Kevin. Her mottos of ‘Lord, teach us how to pray’ and ‘We must live chiefly for the life to come’ characterised her approach to the preparation for the sacraments and learning. Many children were imbued with a sense of the Mercy way of life, namely, a spirit of piety, devotion to the Church, love of the poor and love of children.